Commercial Vehicle Driving
320 hrs | WEST CAMPUS ONLY!
The Commercial Vehicle Driving program will prepare students for entry-level employment as a professional local or over-the-road (OTR) truck driver. Upon successful completion of the program, which includes 1,000 miles of local and highway driving, Commercial Vehicle Driving students will receive a technical certificate, and will be able to test at our facility for the Class “A” Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). Commercial Vehicle Driving is a job preparatory program that instructs students in:
- Proper loading and securing of cargo
- Double clutching and shifting techniques of 9, 10, and 13 speed transmissions
- Pre-Trip/Road inspection
- Coupling and uncoupling
- Backing of large tractor trailers, truck controls and systems
- Employability skills
Commercial Vehicle Driving students will be instructed daily as they maneuver around our multi-directional driving range for approximately the first half of the program. They will practice concepts previously covered in the classroom and the basic procedures needed to safely operate large tractor trailers prior to being taken on the road. The remaining portion of the Commercial Vehicle Driving program will be spent on driving on all different types of highways. Although the main emphasis will be on driving, time will be spent each week in the classroom learning trip planning, defensive driving, logbooks, special rigs, and extreme weather driving techniques.
Day Schedule: Monday-Friday: 7:00 am- 2:30 pm (9 weeks Class A or 5 weeks Class B)
Next available classes: Day
August 30, 2017
October 3, 2017
November 7, 2017
December 13, 2017
February 1, 2018
March 6, 2018
April 17, 2018
Evening Schedule: Monday-Thursday: 5:00 pm- 10:30 pm (14 weeks Class A or 7 weeks for Class B)
Next available classes:Night
August 9, 2017
October 12, 2017
December 13, 2017
February 26, 2018
May 1, 2018
· A valid driver’s license, and another form of documentation proving residency in Florida.
· You must attend an orientation which is held on Tuesdays. Please come to the front office by 8:00 am to complete paperwork for registration. Orientation will begin at 8:30 am.
· A CDL permit – please make sure you review the CDL handbook to pass your written CDL permit exam taken at the DMV.
For a Class A permit, study general knowledge, air brakes, and combination vehicles (Sections 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6).
For a Class B permit, you will only be tested on general knowledge and air brakes (Sections 1, 2, 3, and 5).
· A seven (7) year driving record – while you are at the DMV, please request your 7-year driving record. This does not mean you need to be driving for 7 years. If you are driving for only 1-3 years, please ask for a (3) year driving record. If you are new to Florida, please be aware that the course fees will be higher than Florida residents who have been residing here one year or longer.
· A DOT medical physical (The DMV requires you have this document before attempting the written CDL permit exam). When you get your physical, please make sure it is done with a DOT approved doctor. While you are in class, you will be subject to drug screening in accordance with DOT policies.
· A Basic Skills Assessment Test (TABE) – $10.00 (Visa, Mastercard, cash). A high school diploma from 2007 onwards, an AA or Bachelor’s Degree exempts you from the TABE test. The TABE test is given every Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 8 am.
Class A: Tuition, Fees, Books and Supplies (Approximate) – $2000
Class B: Tuition, Fees, Books and Supplies (Approximate) – $1000
Be advised that classes fill up quickly and your paid registration is required for entry into the classroom. Students are admitted on a first come, first served basis, with a restriction of (12) Class A students, and (2) Class B students per class. If you require financial assistance, please contact: Broward County Community Action Agency- (954) – 357- 5025 or Career Source Broward (954) – 677-5555