Commercial Vehicle Driving
320 hrs | WEST CAMPUS ONLY!
The Commercial Vehicle Driving program will prepare students for entry-level employment as a professional local or over-the-road (OTR) truck driver. Upon successful completion of the program, which includes 1,000 miles of local and highway driving, Commercial Vehicle Driving students will receive a technical certificate, and will be able to test at our facility for the Class “A” Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). Commercial Vehicle Driving is a job preparatory program that instructs students in:
- Proper loading and securing of cargo
- Double clutching and shifting techniques of 9, 10, and 13 speed transmissions
- Pre-Trip/Road inspection
- Coupling and uncoupling
- Backing of large tractor trailers, truck controls and systems
- Employability skills
Commercial Vehicle Driving students will be instructed daily as they maneuver around our multi-directional driving range for approximately the first half of the program. They will practice concepts previously covered in the classroom and the basic procedures needed to safely operate large tractor trailers prior to being taken on the road. The remaining portion of the Commercial Vehicle Driving program will be spent on driving on all different types of highways. Although the main emphasis will be on driving, time will be spent each week in the classroom learning trip planning, defensive driving, logbooks, special rigs, and extreme weather driving techniques.
Day Schedule: Monday – Friday: 7:00 am – 2:30 pm (9 weeks Class A or 5 weeks Class B)
Classes start: 6/24/21, 7/9/21, 7/23/21, 8/6/21, 8/27/21, 9/14/21, 9/29/21, 10/13/21, 10/28/21, 11/12/21, 12/3/21, 12/17/21, 1/18/22, 2/1/22, 2/15/22, 3/2/22, 3/16/22, 4/8/22, 4/25/22, 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 6/7/22, 6/22/22
Night Schedule: Monday-Thursday 5:00 pm – 10:30 pm. (Class A – 16 weeks / Class B – 8 weeks)
Night classes start: 7/8/21, 9/9/21, 10/10/21, 2/1/22, 4/11/22
Class A: Tuition, Fees, Books and Supplies (Approximate) – $2000
Class B: Tuition, Fees, Books and Supplies (Approximate) – $1000
· A valid driver’s license, and another form of documentation proving residency in Florida.
· A CDL permit – please make sure you review the CDL handbook to pass your written CDL permit exam taken at the DMV.
For a Class A permit, study general knowledge, air brakes, and combination vehicles (Sections 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6).
· A seven (7) year driving record – while you are at the DMV, please request your 7-year driving record. This does not mean you need to be driving for 7 years. If you are driving for only 1-3 years, please ask for a (3) year driving record.
· A DOT medical physical (The DMV requires you have this document before attempting the written CDL permit exam). When you get your physical, please make sure it is done with a DOT approved doctor. While you are in class, you will be subject to drug screening in accordance with DOT policies.
Be advised that classes fill up quickly and your paid registration is required for entry into the classroom. Students are admitted on a first come, first served basis, with a restriction of six (6) Class A students per class. If you require financial assistance, please contact: Broward County Community Action Agency- (954) – 357- 5025 or Career Source Broward (954) – 677-5555
For more information on program cost, schedule, content, and admission requirements, see the program flyer or contact
June Armstrong, Student Advisor