Commercial Vehicle Driving
320 hrs | WEST CAMPUS ONLY!
The Commercial Vehicle Driving program will prepare students for entry-level employment as a professional local or over-the-road (OTR) truck driver. Upon successful completion of the program, which includes 1,000 miles of local and highway driving, Commercial Vehicle Driving students will receive a technical certificate, and will be able to test at our facility for the Class “A” Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). Commercial Vehicle Driving is a job preparatory program that instructs students in:
- Proper loading and securing of cargo
- Double clutching and shifting techniques of 9, 10, and 13 speed transmissions
- Pre-Trip/Road inspection
- Coupling and uncoupling
- Backing of large tractor trailers, truck controls and systems
- Employability skills
Commercial Vehicle Driving students will be instructed daily as they maneuver around our multi-directional driving range for approximately the first half of the program. They will practice concepts previously covered in the classroom and the basic procedures needed to safely operate large tractor trailers prior to being taken on the road. The remaining portion of the Commercial Vehicle Driving program will be spent on driving on all different types of highways. Although the main emphasis will be on driving, time will be spent each week in the classroom learning trip planning, defensive driving, logbooks, special rigs, and extreme weather driving techniques.
Day Schedule: Monday-Friday: 7:00 am- 2:30 pm (9 weeks Class A or 5 weeks Class B)
May 17 2018
June 25, 2018
July 26, 2018
Sept 6, 2018
Oct 10, 2018
Nov 16, 2018
Jan 8, 2019
Feb 11, 2019
March 15, 2019
April 26, 2019
May 30, 2019
Evening Schedule: Monday-Thursday: 5:00 pm- 10:30 pm (14 weeks Class A or 7 weeks for Class B)
Class A and B
June 27 2018
Sept 4, 2018
Nov 5, 2018
Jan 22, 2019
March 21, 2019
May 22, 2019
· A valid driver’s license, and another form of documentation proving residency in Florida.
· A CDL permit – please make sure you review the CDL handbook to pass your written CDL permit exam taken at the DMV.
For a Class A permit, study general knowledge, air brakes, and combination vehicles (Sections 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6).
· A seven (7) year driving record – while you are at the DMV, please request your 7-year driving record. This does not mean you need to be driving for 7 years. If you are driving for only 1-3 years, please ask for a (3) year driving record.
· A DOT medical physical (The DMV requires you have this document before attempting the written CDL permit exam). When you get your physical, please make sure it is done with a DOT approved doctor. While you are in class, you will be subject to drug screening in accordance with DOT policies.
Be advised that classes fill up quickly and your paid registration is required for entry into the classroom. Students are admitted on a first come, first served basis, with a restriction of (12) Class A students per class. If you require financial assistance, please contact: Broward County Community Action Agency- (954) – 357- 5025 or Career Source Broward (954) – 677-5555